Sunday, May 23, 2010

Why I Blog...

Because I wish my mum had written down the inner workings of her heart...
Because my mum DID keep a journal but journals aren't the same -- they're where we empty our angst and that's hard for a daughter to read!!
Because I suck at keeping journals for my kids...
Because writing about stuff keeps me real and is a genuine need deep in my soul...
And because if I had 37 days, I wouldn't have time to write down all the things I'd want my kids to know...
When I took that long break in Autumn, I wasn't sure if I'd come back to writing my blog... I really wanted to spend more time being present in the moment and less time thinking about it... but this bit from Patty Digh has always stayed in my mind, and it's what keeps bringing me back here:

What emerged was a renewed commitment to ask myself this question every morning: 'what would I be doing today if I only had 37 days to live?' It's a hard question some days. But here's how I answered it: Write like hell, leave as much of myself behind for my two daughters as I could, let them know me and see me as a real person, not just a mother, leave with them for safe-keeping my thoughts and memories, fears and dreams, the histories of what I am and who my people are. Leave behind my thoughts about living the life, that "one wild and precious life" that poet Mary Oliver speaks of. That's what I'd do with my 37 days." - Patty Digh

And with that, I encourage you to start your own blog (if you haven't already) and "write like hell"!!! love that!! Keep it real. Let us see you as a real person, the depths of your heart! The world needs more of that. Which reminds me of one of my favourite quotes ever (thanks Sal):
“Don’t ask what the world needs. Ask what makes you come alive, and go do it. Because what the world needs is people who have come alive.” - Howard Thurman

1 comment:

FONT LOVER said...

warm greeting for your family.